Osprey-class Exploration Ship
"Some of the most modern ships in Nanotrasen’s fleet and a prestigious assignment for their captains, the famed Osprey of the ICW’s most dramatic astronautical engagements lives on as a very well-appointed exploration ship. Extensively refurbished from their origins as Bluespace Artillery platforms, the contemporary Osprey repurposes military-grade sensor equipment and AI systems for exploration and scientific work. Features include respectably-equipped medical, culinary, and scientific facilities and an AI core, as well as a ship-wide disposals and delivery system and a very spacious cargo bay. However, the powerful (if temperamental) supermatter engines that powered the initial batch of Ospreys were stripped out during their rebuilds, and the replacement generator banks have left contemporary Ospreys somewhat power-starved."
— Excerpt from Ships of the Corporate Era. (Issue 127)
The Osprey is a relatively expensive ship, however it is one of the most well-equipped vessels available for purchase. The Osprey comes with a fully stocked science department with all the necessary research boards available as well as room for a robotics bay, with a positronic brain and AI core ready to go! Other departments have not been neglected; the Osprey boasts a roomy mining and cargo bay, fully functional cargo department, a stocked medbay, bridge, a bar/eatery and even a custodial closet for all your cleaning needs.
Quick bullet rundown of features and equipment:
- ORM and Ore Silo included for rock hungry miners
- Lots of space for scientists and the option of procuring an AI straight away
- Research is immediately available to be set up
- Cargo and deliveries included
- Medbay contains a Sleeper, operating computer and table, tools, wall-mounted defibs, several medkits, outfits and basic chems
- Bar contains vending machines, alcohol, soda dispenser, fridge stocked with flour and donk pockets
- Bridge contains a room for HOP and captain with some basic energy weapons
- Custodian Closet contains basic cleaning equipment and the rail driver
- Engineering comes with a couple of welder and water tanks as well as standard plasma and oxygen canister dispensers
- two SMES' are available for power storage however the only power generation provided is a single S.U.P.E.R.P.A.C.M.A.N
- ships engines boasts 6 plasma thrusters and 6 ion thrusters split evenly either side of the stern of the vessel
- working disposal system
|First Officer||First Officer||1|
|Ship's Doctor||Medical Doctor||1|
|Ship's Engineer||Ship Engineer||1|
|Atmospheric Technician||Atmospheric Technician||1|
|Cargo Technician||Cargo Technician||1|
|Shaft Miner||Shaft Miner||1|
How Should I Pilot This?
The strength of the starting load-out of the Osprey should not be ignored giving you freedom to do pretty much whatever you want, however you may want to start immediately thinking of solutions to your power generation before the amount of engines and equipment drain your batteries dry. Try and accrue sufficient research to build better generators with higher quality parts. Also, Decide early on whether you want to make use of your AI as this will necessitate you setting up cameras around the ship so it can see anything or having a deployable shell to be a fancy borg.
https://shiptest.net/map?map=Osprey-class - Shiptest website map viewer